Today’s new case count matched a high for recent weeks that was set on the weekend, and active cases resumed increasing again, including in Interior Health, which had seen some decreases in recent days.
Hospitalized cases also increased, there were new deaths, and 18 flights were listed as having potential public exposures.
Today, the B.C. Health Ministry is reporting 724 new COVID-19 cases (including five epi-linked cases).
Currently, there are 5,640 active cases, which is an increase of 285 cases since yesterday.
By health region, the new and active cases include:
- 271 new cases in Interior Health, with 2,014 total active cases (103 more cases than yesterday);
- 185 new cases in Fraser Health, with 1,319 total active cases (25 more cases);
- 142 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, with 1,432 total active cases (85 more cases);
- 64 new cases in Island Health, with 502 total active cases (32 more cases);
- 62 new cases in Northern Health, with 361 total active cases (39 more cases);
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada, with 12 total active cases (same number as yesterday).
Hospitalized cases increased by 10 people (compared to yesterday), for a current total of 149 individuals hospitals, with 83 of those patients in intensive care units (eight more than yesterday).
Unfortunately, two new deaths (both in Interior Health) have been reported. Thus, the overall total number of fatalities is now at 1,804 people who have died of COVID-19-related reasons.
With 427 recoveries since yesterday, a cumulative total of 155,096 people have now recovered.
Over the duration of the pandemic, B.C. has recorded an overall total of 162,693 COVID-19 cases.
Starting tomorrow (August 27) and continuing into September, Fraser Health will be holding vaccination clinics at various post-secondary institutions on specific dates.
Among the locations will be SFU (Burnaby and Surrey), BCIT (Burnaby), Douglas College (Coquitlam and New Westminster), University of the Fraser Valley (Abbotsford and Chilliwack), Kwantlen (Surrey), and more.
Full details are available at the Fraser Health website.
From August 11 to 24, people who weren’t fully vaccinated accounted for 82.4 percent of cases and 86.4 percent of hospitalizations.
Of the total number of 4,413 COVID-19 cases from August 18 to 24, there were:
- 3,131 unvaccinated people (70.9 percent);
- 509 partially vaccinated people (11.5 percent);
- 773 fully vaccinated people (17.5 percent).
Of the total number of 199 hospitalized cases from August 11 to 24, there were:
- 157 unvaccinated people(78.9 percent);
- 15 partially vaccinated (7.5 percent);
- 27 fully vaccinated (13.6 percent).
For cases per 100,000 population from August 18 to 24:
- 199.5 unvaccinated people:
- 111.9 partially vaccinated people;
- 24.6 fully vaccinated people.
Since December, B.C. has administered 7,390,103 doses of Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca vaccines.
As of today, 83.7 percent (3,878,423) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 75.6 percent (3,504,402) received their second dose.
In addition, 84.4 percent (3,650,649) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 76.7 percent (3,318,443) received their second dose.
Outbreaks and exposures
The good news is that none of the five regional health authorities listed any new healthcare facility or community outbreaks, business closures, or public exposures.
Currently, there are 14 active outbreaks, including:
- longterm care: Heritage Village (Fraser Health); Brock Fahrni (Vancouver Coastal Health); Village at Mill Creek, Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, and Spring Valley Care Centre (Interior Health);
- acute care: Peace Arch Hospital (Fraser Health);
- assisted or independent living: Nicola Meadows, Hawthorn Park, David Lloyd, Sun Pointe Village, and Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health).
The B.C. Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) added the following 18 flights to its lists of public exposures (affected row information is listed at the BCCDC website):
- August 12: WestJet Flight 162, Vancouver to Edmonton;
- August 16: WestJet Flight 589, Montreal to Vancouver;
- August 18: WestJet Flight 112, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 18: WestJet Flight 135, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 19: Air Canada Flight 204, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 19: Flair Flight 150, Abbotsford to Toronto;
- August 21: Air Canada Flight 308, Vancouver to Montreal;
- August 21: Air Canada Flight 861, London to Vancouver;
- August 21: Philippine Airlines Flight 116, Manila to Vancouver;
- August 21: WestJet Flight 127, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 22: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8578, Vancouver to Saskatoon;
- August 22: Flair Flight 514, Saskatoon to Vancouver;
- August 22: Turkish Airlines Flight 75, Istanbul to Vancouver;
- August 22: WestJet Flight 491, Calgary to Comox;
- August 23: Flair Flight 151, Toronto to Abbotsford;
- August 23: WestJet Flight 542, Vancouver to Montreal;
- August 24: Air Canada Flight 3, Vancouver to Tokyo;
- August 24: WestJet Flight 706, Vancouver to Toronto.